5 ways to look after yourself during separation
Sep 09, 2019
Separation can be one of the toughest life experiences you will ever encounter. When facing the avalanche of emotions and uncertainty about the future, finances, living and parenting arrangements – self care usually falls low on the priority list, yet it is perhaps the time we need it most. Physical well-being lays the foundation for your mental and emotional health – so here are 5 simple ways to implement self-care during separation.
- Eat well - Opting for nutritious and well-balanced foods can have a huge impact on how you feel emotionally. Keep in mind that a healthy body creates a healthy mind! Try to make mindful choices that include plenty of vegetables, fruits and lean proteins as they are going to give you the sustained energy and mental clarity needed to get through this particularly stressful time.
- Get moving- Making time for movement in any way, shape or form does wonders for your mental state. Simply a walk in the sunshine can significantly lower stress and stimulate the production of endorphins, your ‘feel good’ hormones which make you feel happier, clearer and much less anxious. Find something that makes you feel great, schedule it in and allow yourself to enjoy this time to your-self.
- Call in your tribe – Friends and family have a wonderful ability to make us feel like ourselves during the hardest of times. Remember that you are not in this alone - don’t be afraid to reach out and share what you are going through. You don’t have to fight your feelings - talking it out with someone you trust can help make sense of the conflicting feelings of anger, sadness, confusion and fear. Try to be constructive and future-focused to allow the painful, angry thoughts to take a much-needed break.
- Focus on the basics- Whilst the world may be spinning – focus on the things that are within your control. Prioritising sleep, healthy and mindful eating, staying hydrated, getting a daily dose of sunshine, catching up with friends – these all make huge differences in developing a healthy routine that help you transition into a new chapter of your life.
- Give yourself a break– Practice self-compassion by giving yourself permission to feel and function at a less than optimal level for a period of time. Take time to heal – whether that be reading a book with a hot cup of tea, a yoga class or even a long bath – this is going to help you regroup and re-energize!